Sunday, September 18, 2011

IFEX is over

Dear friends,

IFEX is over! It's really over! And two days earlier than expected. As you might have gathered from Andre's last post, things didn't continue as perfectly as the first two days. The nausea slowly started creeping back, together with fatigue. I'm so glad that Leticia and Kent got to see me while I was still ok (and I actually got to eat the delicious dinner she made). But it was still not as bad as the last time, so I was really surprised on Friday when we went in to Cedars for the usual round of hydration, and I woke up to find that Forscher had decided that Friday night would be my last night of IFEX! I smiled at him very prettily and thanked him, without truly believing he meant it. But he did! Apparently, Andre told him that I threw up 3 times between 10 and 1, and he decided that I didn't need to suffer any more. When Andre told me that today, I couldn't help shaking my head -- I hadn't even realized that I was suffering.

It is over, though, and now comes the slow slog to recovery, to feeling like myself again. I spent the last two days moping and feeling just sick. My emotions are all over the place and though I haven't shown any tendencies towards knife carving (as Alyssa so delicately put it:), I did deplore to Andre my lack of homicidal friends.

I have such wonderful friends. We came back on Saturday night to a gorgeously painted house, thanks to Bill Hood. Bill is an amazing painter -- lucky Toni! Our house looks like a new place. I love the entry way which is a beautiful rust red, but it took me a minute to adjust to the rest of the house, which is YELLOW. In all fairness, Bill did warn me that it would be yellow, and so did Ranjeeta, from whose house I drew inspiration, but the yellowness of it still took me back. The house still had a faint smell of paint, enough to make me queasy, so we got back in the car and drove to Ranjeeta's house for the night. Mira wasn't there since she was spending the night with Kim, Helena, and Penelope, which Andre thought was a good thing because he didn't think I was in any shape to handle Mira's energy. She came back the next day after a wonderful time with Helena and Penelope and exclaimed with delight over the green-ness of her bathroom. She walked in and completely ignored me to run upstairs and look at the bathroom. It's funny because one of my worst memories of the last round of IFEX was coming back home, nauseous, sick, and bleary, and just walking by her to get to the bed. For weeks now, I've tortured myself, good-mother-guilt style, imagining how she was waiting for me all week and how I just ignored her. I think I'll let go of this now.

Andre was right -- painting the house is really helping me recover. Yesterday, as I sat mourning to him, telling him the pointlessness of it all, he pointed out that we need new curtains and they will help soften the yellow walls. I said austerely that it was futile to buy curtains when everything ends in death anyway. He agreed and asked if that meant we could pass on the kitchen remodel. For a second, the IFEX induced wraith in my brain went up against my Inner Woman. Then I sniffed and said faintly that the great American economy was depending on me, and even if all have to die, we don't have to die destitute.... Or with bad kitchens.

So, somehow I'll get better and I hope you will come to visit our brightly colored home because this house is just begging for the laughter and cheer of wonderful friends like you. And so am I.

With love,
Radhika.

PS: Since Janet asked, here's a recent picture of me at the apartment. As you can see, my hair has decided that it's going to pretend that chemotherapy is done. My hair has always had a stubborn refusal to conform and a strong habit of doing its own thing, flat irons and gels, notwithstanding. I am grateful to it, but I still intend to go wig shopping sometime. :)

11 comments:

  1. Huzzah! I want to see this new home, and I recall promising to create for you a Chinese feast. Mira shall have pasta the which she has never before seen (I suppose!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back, baby! The "new" house sounds wonderful, and I have to admit that I like the new hair, too (although that may just be personal bias). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How is it you can make me laugh when you are telling a story about how crappy you felt after IFEX? Yeah, get that new kitchen so that Obama can be re-elected, please! You know, that's partly why I had my kitchen remodeled 2 years ago--gotta pick up the economy, and BTW, be sure to hire your friends and their friends whose business it is to do these things. Bill and Lee and all those folks will do a super job for you.

    Here's my "Bill story." When I was making decisions about interior paint after the kitchen remodel, Bill told me that my rusty orange accent walls were going to be pretty dark and the green was definitely more greenish than I was used to. Of course, I did not believe him. I about fainted when I saw the new walls, and was sooooo tempted to tell him to undo it all. After a week of shock and awe, I got to liking those bold, dramatic colors and I have not regretted them at all. So, give the yellow a while to grow on you, and buy new curtains, too. A year from now, you'll probably wonder if you should bump up that "pale" green in your bedroom...and maybe brighter upholstery to go with the wonderful walls...and...and...! It's a little bit crazy--one bold step leads to one more and then many more. Really, I can't wait to see it all...and you (truly, I love your new look--healthy, glowing smile, and with a cute 'do that has Jocelyn thinking of a haircut, perhaps?!). ☺ JMcD

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, Radhika, you look GORGEOUS!!! Your short hair really suits you, so I bet as it grows out, every stage will look great too. I say, you've gone this long w/o a wig, just ditch the wig idea!

    I love the photo. You have a gleam in your eyes that makes me happy. And of course, I totally get that the idea of a kitchen remodel is the one thing that could penetrate the haze of IFEX depression.

    I'd love to come visit whenever you feel ready. But take your time and do what's right for you, as always. Love, love, love, Vivienne

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look like a little brown nut! I hope you buy a big yellow wig and maybe a green sari, so you'll look like a sunflower. Now that would be a great way to start your first day back to work!

    Oh, and if you're big into futility, you should read Ecclesiastes. Now that's a cheerful book (Old Testament).

    Don't blame me for lack of skills, I didn't know you wanted to off yourself. I'd have taken you skydiving. Lots of cancer patients go skydiving. It seems to cheer them up.

    Linda wants to give you swimming lessons so you won't drown. Maybe that will help. Yeah, we'll let the blind chick life-guard you.

    I'm glad you're back, anyway. Andre writes like a German mathematician.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Radhika,
    I am so happy to see you are back. Not that I am ripping on Andre- he blogs like me. Thanks for the update.

    Don't tempt us with an invitation as you the terrible three, Pablo, Sinqi and Mira, can really liven up your house!

    Rest up. I am glad this round is over and now you can heal in what seems like a new home. Keep thinking positive.

    Love
    B and the gang

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Radhika,

    So glad to see your picture with your beautiful smile :-) I have been following your blog, sending you positive thoughts, in constant admiration of your endurance and strength.

    I have a neighbor who went through chemo and is now recovered, and I would like to share a song with you that she wrote while she was under treatment. Her name is Laura and she asked me to pass on her song to everyone I knew who was being fighting cancer. I hope that her song will continue to make you smile.

    "I'm Still Here!" Click this link http://lauraroppe.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0882ae3816b145bdd2acbbaf6&id=6c3742c91a&e=b96a981fc0 OR head over to my website www.lauraroppe.com and check it out!


    Hugs,
    Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so gorgeous, Radhika!!! No bad hair days--ever!!!!!! I miss you and want to see you soon! Love, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  10. So good to see your smile! Can't wait to see it in person sometime soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great to see your smile Radhi! Love and hugs - Radhu

    ReplyDelete