Saturday, February 5, 2011

Back home

We're back! It's so good to be back home in San Diego in the warmth, the sunshine, the open blue skies.

Death has a different color in San Diego. In Minnesota, inside the tall, sleek buildings of the Mayo Clinic, death seemed very real and very near. Even though the sun was shining on the days we were there, I felt numb to everything. Everything I did felt like a struggle -- as if there were a resistance inside me that I had to overcome and doing so made every move exhausting. Stepping outside into the cold, frigid air, for just the few minutes it took to get from car to building, was enough to give me coughing spasms that seemed to support the doctor's dire prognosis.

I cried a lot in Minnesota, wondering why this was happening to me, why all my friends should rally to my side just to watch me die, what should happen to my beautiful daughter without her mother.

Jenn would just shrug her shoulders at such thoughts. Even after the doctor's pronouncement that shook Andre and myself, she remained calm and upbeat. There is not a doubt in her mind that I can beat this. Sitting in the plane, sandwiched between Andre on my left and Jenn on my right, I realized that I was between two people who had no intention of allowing me to tamely fold up and mournfully prepare for death.

"I don't care what we have to do," Andre declared, holding my left hand, "If we have to go to China, or to Arizona and find a shaman to bless this thing out of you, or anywhere else, we'll do it."

And Jenn, massaging my right arm that was aching again, agreed. "You'll beat this thing," she said, "I just know it. Because that's who you are."

What could I do faced with such relentless optimism, such confidence in a strength that I could not feel but had faint recollections of once having?

I slept.

When we reached San Diego, I walked as though in a daze, until we came out of the airport into the sunshine. Palm trees were waving in the breeze, the air was soft and light, somewhere a child screamed in delight to see her grandmother. I felt something inside me shift, as if a weight were lifted off of me. It felt so good to be home. I felt so lucky to live in such a gorgeous place, to see such beauty on a daily basis. And I promised myself that I should, each day, remind myself of that.

I will go out each day, sit in the sunshine, feel the breeze, listen to the birds sing -- that is one of the luxuries sickness affords. And I intend to take advantage of it.

Bathed in this divine sunshine and the powerful love that I feel all of you sending me, I have no doubt that I will find my strength and I will walk this path and come out at the other end. Dear friends, do not stop sending me your love and prayers --- this is the lull now before I decide what I must do and your thoughts will sustain me. Thank you -- you have my deepest appreciation.

11 comments:

  1. FIGHT - I'm not ready to let go of you yet . . . .

    Linda & Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home! If the sunshine gives you the energy to fight this, then we'll just have to call the sun down every day to shine brightly - never doubt it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darling Radhi,

    I have been in shellshock for 3 days (that's when I found out). I have been trying to collect my thoughts, my wits, my emotions. Malavika lost her two front teeth last week. I remembered,that was how you looked when I first got acquainted with you on the S1 bus to Mater Dei school, along with the cutest dimpled smile, that prompted me to go and report to my mom that I had met this'cutest girl on the bus'. You made it into my amateur sketch book :) That was fully 30 years ago...

    'Daddy' and I are at your side always. We are rallying to your side, as all your friends, to watch you live, not to see you die.
    IT IS NOT YOUR TIME.
    IT IS SIMPLY NOT HAPPENING. WE WILL NOT LET IT!

    You will be there to watch your beautiful Mira lose her baby teeth, graduate from college, walk down the aisle with her chosen partner,grow into a gorgeous smart confident young lady. You will be there also to verbally spar with her during her teenage years, and I am counting on you to share our common vexation, to blame all their inexplicable tantrums on their paternal genes.
    All of these beautiful memories and many more await you in your future. I will it, I will it with the all the fibre of my being... and nothing and nobody is going to cheat you of it..Let the brilliant San Diego sunshine leave you in no doubt of that.

    You are a fighter and surrounded by fighters. Now is not the moment to be crippled by fear and self doubt. As you said, you have to choose it and you will thrive... and you have so many beautiful reasons to make that choice.

    With the deepest and most tender of love and the fiercest of fighting well wishes.

    Hugs and kisses to you , Andre & Mira.
    Grateful thanks to Jen whom I have not met, for all she is doing for you.

    Latha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Radhika,
    I've been thinking a lot about what your doctor said and how devastating it was. You continue to express your experiences so clearly and well.

    I hope more than anything that the point comes when the doctor says to you, "It worked. You are cured." I'm holding that Idea firmly in my mind for you. That said, I think there is a lot of territory in between being cured and being given a death sentence. You have been living with cancer for a long time, ill and well. The kind of living you are doing right now is so intense and so difficult that I can't imagine getting through it without your fierceness and sense of justice, your passion and persistence! I have to believe that if you get the right treatment,you can still be living well with cancer. Knowing more clearly what your mobility is in this territory will help a lot--and being back in Southern California, too! We are glad to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Radhika, We are all here for you and support you 100% no matter what the future holds. I'm always glad when you say you feel the love, it is surely coming your way. Let the sunshine in! Janet

    ReplyDelete
  6. As of today there's another prayer group with your name on their lips.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Radhika,
    Every day you are with me and I am with you. I think of you all day and I know the others do as well. I support you in your persistence in seeking information and resources, and in your persistence to be you, to return to your core no matter what.
    Love,
    Vivienne

    ReplyDelete
  8. How welcome, those moments of transcendence and luminosity, even if they do occur as you are walking out of an airport. May that feeling remain over the next few days, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearest Radhika,

    I'm glad you're back in SoCal sunshine! Remember this: whatever you need, someone on this list will most likely be able to help in some way. Don't hesitate to let us know what we can do for you. We consider it an honor to be on this journey with you.

    Love, Marie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Radhika, you might appreciate this quote.

    "With the new day ahead comes new strength and new thoughts" - Eleanor Roosevelt.

    Brighter days are ahead, my friend. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Radhika,

    I was on a vacation last week, so I am just getting caught up. Sounds like some of that fire in your belly that we all know so well is coming back. Also sounds like you are going to need it for what comes. As always, we are here to help.

    Before I left, I talked a little bit with my good friend Molly about what you are going through. She is the coolest person. I just love her energy, and I think that you would too. I hope that you don't mind. It is just that you are on my mind quite a bit these days.

    Anyways, as it turns out a good friend of hers named Aimee does lots of fund raising work for the Sarcoma Alliance. Maybe you have already heard of it. But, just in case you haven't, it may another resource for you and Andre. I will forward the emails. You will note many references to paddle board and canoe racing--Molly is a real ocean sport kind of girl and I think that it how the two of them know one another.

    Don't hesitate to let me know if I can help in any way!!!

    The Best to you, Andre, and Mira,
    Amber

    ReplyDelete