Thursday, February 3, 2011

Mayo Day 1

Dear friends,

Day 1 at the Mayo Clinic started early.... after about 4 hours of sleep, we headed for the Clinic to report at 7 a.m. I had forgotten most of what they had told me on the phone and if I wrote it down, I lost the paper (this is my story these days, alas!) but I remembered "Gonda Building" and fast. So, I skipped breakfast and then, the check-in woman recommended that I continue fasting until I saw the doctor at 9:45. So, it was a hungry, tired me that waited for the doctor to come in. The cool thing, though, was that I was the envy of all the other people there because while we waited, Jenn gave me a massage on my arm to alleviate that pain. I'm so lucky -- I get to travel with my own personal physical therapist!! :)

The doctor was a young, nice woman who interviewed me about all my symptoms and then went over the scans with us. Even though we had done this with Forscher, it still was unnerving as she described where the masses were. One on the spine, wrapped around the nerves that come out of the spinal column, one on the lungs, somewhere in the mediastinum, close to my heart, one on the side of the lungs ...... so many, I thought, so many of them ..... and I had no idea that they were growing, or for how long they have been inside me.

After going over the scans and answering our questions, the doctor said that she would need to go and discuss the case with her radiation oncologist and surgical oncologist colleagues, so she left us for about 20 minutes, during which Andre and I both rested, and Jenn wrote down a million questions to ask.

She came back and said that the radiation oncologist thought that radiation would only have a 50% chance of success and that there was possibility of nerve damage that would make the pain permanent, so they are recommending chemo first. This is different from what Forscher has in mind, but we still have to meet the radiation oncologist at Cedars Sinai next week.

She then pulled up their standard recommended chemo treatment for osteogenic sarcoma. I asked if they were sure that that was what it was. She said that the indicators are pretty strong but that they will do a biopsy tomorrow morning (another fasting day for me!).

As she pulled the treatment up, we inundated her with questions. She was very nice and open to all of them, which I appreciated. We asked her if the Mayo did chemo-sensitivity testing, something we had heard about in another clinic, where they test the lowest dosage of chemo that you can tolerate that is still effective by a blood test. She said that the Mayo did not and we had a discussion about that, and she agreed that while that might be the trend in the future, it's still not mainstream enough. We also asked about immune boosting and she responded that she wasn't sure what that would do. Looking at my blood test, she said other than my being anemic, my immune system was fine. To which, I replied with some asperity, that it was obviously wasn't or I wouldn't have cancer. She let that go ... a touchy response from a frightened cancer patient, good judgement on her part.

It was the next thing that happened that was the most painful part of the visit. I had asked about fertility preservation options -- Andre and I have long wanted another child, I have wanted to the joy of experiencing pregnancy again. When I saw the recommended regimen -- a 42 week treatment with different chemo drugs each week, many of which are known to have weakening effects on the ova, I asked again.

She turned away from the computer, faced me and pulled back her chair.
"Let's back up for a minute," she said. "You have to understand that even with this treatment, your cancer might not be curable."

I looked her straight in the face, unflinching, even though her words went straight to my heart and twisted it. Uncurable ... isn't it funny that suddenly those six words were going to be what I would remember about this visit, what would replay in my mind over and over again.

Dear friends, I cannot describe to you the anguish I felt. I have been thinking about death for a while, saying to those I have spoken to that it would be a release from this physical existence, from this pain that wracks my body, that I have ignored for so long while I pushed and pushed my body to do my will. And now, suddenly Death was in the room, leering at me from a corner, saying that my wish might come true.

And I felt furious. I didn't even understand why. It was Andre, who also felt angry at that time, who explained it to me later at the hotel. "Uncurable", he said later, "that's not even true .. all she can say is that with their treatment, they can't do anything." All I knew was when Jenn interjected afterwards that we had been talking about death, I declared in my most determined voice that I knew that if I decided to live, I would live, that I just hadn't decided yet.

And I am very grateful to the doctor for clarifying that for me. Because in that moment, I felt very determined that I shall not let a doctor or anyone else for that matter tell me when I am going to die or how -- I shall make that decision myself. And I honestly believe that if I choose life and I fight for it with all my will and strength, then I shall not just survive, I will thrive.

As Jenn remarked, the doctors are good for one thing -- my perverse nature reacts well to them. Till now, Andre, my friends, were all saying that they understood my thoughts on death and that they understood that it was my choice and they all hoped that I would want to live, but that they knew (wise people that they are) that I needed to come to that decision myself.
One doctor today suggests that I might die, and all my melancholic brooding gets instantly converted to pugnacity!

Still, Andre and I walked away shell shocked. Jenn held us as I cried and was such a loving support. She insisted on talking to the doctor about getting me a sleeping aid so that I can actually sleep 8 hours instead of the 3-4 hours that I have been getting these past several weeks. And the darling that she is, she just came in and worked on me for an hour before I go to bed.
I am surrounded by such wonderful friends.

I've taken the sleeping aid, so I better hie me to bed... tomorrow is the biopsy and we will finally know for sure. And now, we have the Mayo's treatment plan. But Andre and I know that what we will do is think very carefully about all the options and determine the best one for us.

Good night! Sleep well.

8 comments:

  1. Radhika,
    Thank you for taking the time to update us on today's events. I continue to be amazed at your courage to put it all in words. I am also so grateful that you have Jenn with you to provide you some physical comfort and an objective view. You and Andre are going through so much.

    We are all here thinking about you.

    All our love,
    Bianca and Matthew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Radhika,

    This was a difficult post to read and I'm sure a difficult one to write. Thank you for sharing with us. You and Andre are going through so much. Hope you are able to get some rest. We have been thinking of you and will continue to send our thoughts and prayers your way.

    Best,

    Krishani and Sajith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Radhika,
    Have you thought of a career in literature? I am not kidding. Your post after Day 1 at Mayo went straight to my heart. I was simultaneously aware of the depth of difficulty of what you are going through, the relationships between you and Andre, you and Jenn, and the three of you and the doctor, and the humanity with which you face every day with this monster. I read memoirs more than any other genre, and Radhika, your voice is more powerful, more eloquent, and more real than 90% of the memoirists I read.
    I thought of you all day yesterday and am doing so today as well, aware of the time difference, thinking you might be going through the biopsy now. Holding you in my best thoughts.
    Vivienne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Radhika, pugnacious? Well, at least we know that no surgery, chemo, sleep aids, or pain medications have addled your brains in the least!

    I would now tell you a long story about my uncle and The Mayo. But I won't. The short version is that after meeting with The Mayo he did a tremendous amount of research on his own, found doctors more interested in treating rather than studying, and with the help of his wife continued strongly advocating for himself.

    Nearly twenty years after his predicted demise, researchers routinely throw out his data when studying amyloidosis, because his continued insistence in not succumbing screws up their results. So much for the short version.

    One thing my uncle emphasizes: when you've got something rare, it is possible to become the leading expert by making the phone calls and doing the reading.

    The other thing he noted you've already learned: don't isolate yourself unnecessarily, and don't hesitate to communicate what you need. The rest of us feel powerless until you empower us with something to do. We all care - maybe more than you'll ever know.

    We give our love to you, Andre, and Mira - and our appreciation to all of your friends for their support.

    Robert & Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Vivienne. What an amazing writer you are. You have shared a really tough subject in the most beautiful way. Thank you so much for sharing so openly with all of us.

    Radhika, I know you are not a Christian, but I am, and I know there is a great physician up above (he's the best there is) and I am praying that he makes your thoughts clear and gives you the decisiveness you need to fight this fight "…I am the LORD, who heals you" Exodus 15:26. In Exodus 23:25 the Lord continues to declare that He will not only give us food and water but He will also take away sickness from us. Just ask him to take it away and to give you comfort. I also pray that he will give his supernatural power to the doctors you are seeing so that they can clearly see the best and most effective treatment for you.
    Good luck today. I hope you got a good night's sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Radhika,

    I'm so sorry about the news you received yesterday. You never cease to amaze me; instead of becoming depressed, the news has brought forth that well-known Radhika feistiness. I hope it carries you through today's tests. You're in my thoughts....

    I've never met Jenn but I want to send her a big thank you for being such a support to you.

    Love,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Radhi,

    I cannot even begin to imagine how difficult it is for you to have gone through your day yesterday and then again relive it by sharing it with us. Hope the latter part brought some amount of relief as well. You have such courage, dear Radhi. And I keep imagining Jenn as an angel by your side, as I have never met her and have only been introduced to her through your writing. My thoughts continue to be with you today. Sending my love - Radhu

    ReplyDelete
  8. First reaction: Shock. Next: NO! Next: Google!! Oh bother, why is it that I jump into the internet at a moment's notice?! Well, in this case, I'm glad I did...and I think that we can all find encouragement from the Adult Bone Cancer Survivors website, http://www.abc-survivors.net/. I take it from surfing other (medical info) sites that the reason that you are so special (to doctors, that is...we KNOW why you are special to us, dear Radhika!) is that osteosarcomas are mostly found in adolescents. But for those Rare and Special Persons who are diagnosed in adulthood, this network/website seems very useful.

    Radhika, I know you and Andre (and thank you, Jenn!) are completely wrapped up in the medical world just now, and will be for some time. One of these days, I hope you have time to peruse the wonderful stories of survivors of osteosarcomas. Your feisty self will recognize many kindred spirits in these tales. As others have noted, your writing is so eloquent and compelling...you are utterly amazing. I am looking forward to the day when we see Radhika's Story on the abc-survivors website.

    Meantime, Thank You for sharing your day with us. I'm thinking of you and sending my fiercest positive energies in your direction.

    Love, Janet McD

    ReplyDelete