Thursday, January 20, 2011

The first entry

Dear friends,

I didn't think I would ever blog but circumstances have created a need for me to "talk" to you and tell you what is happening with me. Though I should love to talk to each of you in person and receive from you the comfort that you will extend to me, this is likely to be exhausting for both of us, hence the efficiency of this blog to update you, though I still hope to hear from you and receive your uplifting thoughts and wishes.

Some of you know that I ended last semester with a pain radiating down my right shoulder and arm that I assumed was due to a pinched nerve. My physical therapist friend, Jennifer, tried to help relieve the pain but was astute enough to insist that I go see a doctor. In fact, good friend that she is, she made the appointment for me and went with me to get MRIs done and we discovered that there is a "mass" on or close to my spine, at the bottom of the cervical spine. Masses are always suspect, especially in one who had cancer, so the doctor insisted that I get a CT scan done as well, which revealed yet another mass on the outside of the right lung, and perhaps some other spots, as yet undeterminable.

The awful thing about having had cancer is that it marks you permanently -- not just the scar that I carry on my face, but that anything amiss brings back the ghost of recurrence. It's like walking with a big C painted on you ... and for that reason, I have avoided doctors since my surgeries in 2006. Yet, it looks like I can't avoid them anymore. As much as I would like to believe and hope that this is some sort of infection, there is a good chance it is cancer, and very likely a recurrence of the sarcoma, which is a rare cancer, so not good news.

I found all this out on January 6 and since then, I have just been trying to accept emotionally that I may have to deal with this again. Many of you know that I've often referred to my cancer journey with gratitude because that journey taught me many valuable lessons and I grew a lot, but as of last week, all I felt was that I was done learning. I want to go to a different school where the lessons aren't delivered in quite so hard a format!

While I await that transfer though ..... I wanted to share with you what I am doing and ask for your support. The last time I went through this, Andre and I were so scared and felt so isolated -- not that we were, but we did not reach out to our friends for fear of burdening them. This time, I am wiser -- I trust my friends to know whether they can give and how much they can give. I've also learned what a privilege it is to reach out and help another person and that it is not given to me to deny someone that privilege. So, I am sending this message and going to maintain this blog to tell you what I am doing and feeling. Being able to share my feelings with you lightens my heart ..... and I deeply appreciate you for that.

Here's what is happening now -- since I never had an oncologist, my first order of business is to find one who can help and support me through this. The problem is if it is a sarcoma, they are very rare and there aren't many experts and we've been told that there are none in San Diego and we should not expect to stay here for treatment. Fortunately, my last journey has equipped me with friends who have great advice to give this time. I met another woman who had a similar diagnosis to mine (a wonderful, kind person) and she has recommended a sarcoma oncologist, Charles Forscher, at Cedars Sinai in L.A. Andre and I go to see him tomorrow at 9 a.m. Another friend is arranging for us to go to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, though we're not sure when that would happen.

Today I also met a pair of wonderful, decent doctors at the San Diego Cancer Center in Encinitas. Dr. Vicario is an integrative oncologist and has said that he will support me through this journey while I go to whichever expert is right for me. Dr. Brenner is a physician and counseling psychologist. Their compassion and caring today made Andre and I feel so hopeful. So, I have doctors close to home whom I feel I can trust and with them in my backyard, I travel to L.A. tomorrow hopeful that we will find out soon what exactly this is.

There will be more appointments next week and more news. I am so grateful to Janet Powell, Annette Daoud, Sonia Perez, Marcia Woolf, and Teresa Shallow who have told me to focus on myself for this next week and do what I have to to get a diagnosis. I will miss being in the Faculty Center for the start of the semester but I hope that I will be back soon.

Please keep me in your thoughts and send me your positive energy -- I have been uplifted by it before and I know that I need it now. Thank you for being my friends and for sharing the weight of this news with me. I'll post again soon.




13 comments:

  1. Dear Radhika:

    I was so worried about you when it was announced this morning that you were not feeling well. Thank you so much for sharing your new journey with us. I hope and pray that you get the best treatment from your doctors and you will be back gracing the Faculty Center with your energy and enthusiasm.

    Please lean on your friends in the university and elsewhere.

    Warmly,

    Raj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Radhika, Thank you for including me in your circle of support. I have been sending you good thoughts since you told me and will continue to do so. Don't worry about anything at work, focus on taking care of yourself. Creating the blog is an excellent way to keep us informed. I look forward to reading positive updates, we are with you for the road ahead. Best, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Radhika,

    Oh my gosh. I am so proud of you for writing this blog entry and reaching out to us; I feel honored that you included me. I will stand by you through thick or thin and support you. I add my voice to the others who say that this is the time for you and Andre to focus on your own needs. The university will be fine. Put yourself first. My deepest best wishes are with you and I will await further updates.
    Vivienne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Rhadika,
    We are with you every step of the way. Please let us know how we can help, taking care of Mira, taking care of Andre, taking care of you. We're a minute away, literally, day or night. As others have said: Thanks for letting us all know what's going on. I know it wasn't a decision you took lightly. Thanks for your trust. I've never said anything like this to you before, but now it's time to say it: I think of you as one of the strongest and most courageous people I know, strong and brave in manifold ways. So there, baby. Whatever crops up on this journey, you will rise to meet it. Thanks for letting us be there with you. Really: Pick up the phone. We'll be right there, our arms around you, all three of you.

    Tomorrow: May the city of angels live up to its name---Michael (and Julianna)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rhadika,
    Thank you for the blog update! I send you courage and strength tomorrow. You are in my prayers and thoughts daily. I am here for you in any way I can be. You and I will always be connected in our journey. I am here for you today, tomorrow, and always!

    Treigh

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the short time that I've known you, I've come to admire your leadership, strength, and determination. We are all behind you 110%.

    To quote an old movie, "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum."

    My dear Radhika, I do believe that you're out of bubblegum, so go kick some ass!

    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Radhika, I looked for you at the assembly yesterday and know now why I did not see you present. While this news gives me (indeed, us all!) a heavy heart, your spirit of life and perspective on journey is an inspiration. Even in these troubled times you are the quintessential teacher :):) The outpouring of love that flows your way - and will continue to - will add an abundance of healing energies so that you are lifted up and the universe may have its loving and healing "way" with you and your family's journey.

    Thank you for the blessing of sharing your journey through this blog.

    namaste . . . Kath

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dearest Radhika,

    So It looks as if you may have another trip to Cancer World. I'm so so sorry -- one trip in a lifetime is more than enough for anyone. Know that I'm with you every step of the way this time.

    If there is anything I can do to help out with the Faculty Center, I am ready and willing. If you need a supply of dark chocolate biscotti, let me know.

    Lots of love and positive thoughts coming your way,

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearest R,

    Thank you for the gift of this blog. I'm so proud of you and so full of love for you, my heart overflows. You are surrounded by all manner of angels - what beautiful friends and new acquaintances are coming to your aid, and will continue to do so. Good luck today, R. You'll be in my thoughts.

    Love you,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Radhika,

    Thank you for letting us be part of this jouney with you and Andre.

    Anything, any time.
    Ranjeeta

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Radhika,
    I wanted to thank you for bring us into your world right now. As you see above, we are all ready to to support you in whatever manner you need. In our case, feel free to call upon us at any time, especially with Mira. You have been such an instrumental part of our life with with our children and we are here for you for anything, absolutely anything you need.

    Bianca

    ReplyDelete
  12. Radhika,
    My biggest admiration will be always in my heart for you. I’m so proud of you for creating this blog and sharing it with us; I will stand by you and your family for support… Do not worry about work… Please focus on taking care of yourself and your love ones… I will miss you so much around the Faculty Center but thanks to you, I have a lot of friends around me…
    Best wishes for today! You will be in my prayers… Remember, your Guardian Angel is always with you, so please feel safe…


    Con cariƱo:
    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear R,
    Thank you for starting this blog. Your strength is truly an inspiration to me. I am glad that you realize that you are surrounded by friends who love you and who want to help you. I want you to know that you and Andre and Mira can count on me for anything at any time. Just let me know and I'll be there.

    I love you,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete