Thursday, January 27, 2011

Mayo Clinic next week

JuDear friends,

The Mayo Clinic called us back and we have appointments to go there next week -- we have to check in to the clinic at 7 am on Thursday, Feb. 3 and then we will see doctor after doctor after doctor. Andre and I hope that we will be able to make sense of everything they say....

I am scared. I know that knowledge is good; it will be good to know what exactly this is and what can be done about it but I fear that news as well. And I fear it because my last experience with doctors has shown me how limited they can be.

I must assume that the doctors that took care of me at Scripps really did not know any better, that they did the best that they could. However, that leaves me jaundiced with the "conventional" medical system. I can excuse the doctors at Scripps for not knowing that I could prepare myself for the surgeries to improve the chances of success or even just to get rid of my fear. But what turned me off of the medical system is that when I woke up from my second surgery and asked the doctors what kind of physical therapy I needed to do, what I got was: "Well, we really don't know what kind of therapy there is for you to regain the functionality of your jaw. It's a pretty uncommon thing, so there's not much out there."

Before the second surgery, I went to the Integrative Department of Scripps and met people there who offered me all kinds of techniques to prepare myself for the surgery. Why wasn't I sent there before my first surgery? It's the same god damned organization!! I woke up from that surgery determined to make a good recovery, determined to get back to whatever normalcy I could achieve. And then I had an idiot of a doctor tell me that while they had planned to remove my condyle and jaw bone, they had NEVER thought of what would happen to me afterwards. They had never thought that I would need to go back to a normal life, that I would need therapy to get functionality in my jaw.

For 3 months after the surgery, I went from one Physical Therapy department in Scripps to another, and NONE of them had a clue what to do with me. I was lucky that there was one honest therapist at Scripps who told me that I would be better served by Sharp Hospital because they might know something. They didn't.

By complete chance, Vicki Golich hooked me up with her physical therapist, Jennifer Souders. Jenn was the one who brought normalcy to my life. She worked on tirelessly during each session, even after the insurance authorization ran out. She gave me hope and assurance that I could regain the functionality of my jaw and with her help, I did. Jenn is my angel and I love her dearly for everything she did for me. She, of course, would just shrug her shoulders and say she did her job.

At any rate, that is why I don't think much of the medical system and doctors in general. To have no vision, to be so limited in what you offer a sick person to help them heal --- I find it appalling.
And tnat is where my fear comes from -- what will I be to all these experts at the Mayo? A person or just a carrier of a disease? If it is the latter, then all their efforts will focus on eradicating the disease -- will they even think that there is a person who at the end of it all will need to pick up the pieces of their life and go back to being a mother of a six year old?
The doctors at Scripps obviously didn't.
Let's hope the Mayo is different.

This is rather a negative entry -- ghosts of the past have been haunting me.

However these ghosts serve a purpose -- I have no intention of allowing anyone to treat me as a carrier of disease. This time I intend to determine what the best treatment is for me.

To end this entry on a positive note, we're headed to Atlanta for a friend's wedding this weekend. He is a dear friend from grad school and he's marrying an Indian girl! Mira and I will get to wear our Indian outfits and dance ....it will be fun!
And I will stay with my best friend from high school, shes so positive that all these negative thoughts in head will be sure to be banished.
Have a wonderful weekend, my friends. And thank you for all your positive energies sent my way.

13 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you have such a wonderful trip to look forward to this weekend - moments like that are really important. As for the question of seeing the whole patient (rather than just the disease), I have heard some really good things about the Mayo in that regard - they seem to realize that it's crucial (how do some people miss this?) to see the whole patient, to realize that one important part of the job of a doctor is to see the entire arc of treatment, right through the healing process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Radhika,
    I hope this weekend is wonderful! After I was well again I tried to have at least one moment of some kind of bliss or pure joy in each day. It's surprising how hard it is to remember to do that (I need a sign in my office, perhaps) but it's been a great life principle and has resulted in a lot of precious moments, many involving excellent dark chocolate. (HEY! We shared some of those moments at EC when we were sitting together in the naughty corner of the Provost's conference room passing notes!)

    I hope your weekend is full of moments of bliss. Also, I will deliver or send through interoffice mail a CD of two wonderful and goofy Qigong meditation tapes a student gave me last month. It took me aback a bit--was I projecting that vividly my stress level to a student I barely know?--but they help me relax and sleep and are extraordinarily life-affirming.

    Have fun!!! Martha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I wish I could be there to see you and Mira dancing! And Andre, too! :D Enjoy this time with your wonderful friends. Western medicine has a ways to go, but each doctor is an individual, as well, and I'm hoping you'll connect with one at Mayo - or MD Anderson - that is not only a gifted, experienced doctor but treats you as a whole human being. It may happen that the best doctor for you is challenged in this area, though, so try to keep an open mind and don't be too strict with the criteria. The quality of care you receive is of the utmost importance. Sorry. There I go, lecturing again.... :o/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Radhika,

    I hope you, Andre, and Mira have a wonderful weekend! Send photos of the dancing!

    As for doctor stuff, I'm with Marcia -- the most urgent need is to find an MD who knows how to deal with YOUR illness. Hopefully that person will also be compassionate, a great listener, and willing to have you as a full participant in your treatment. End of lecture.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone,

    The link below is to a blog by Louis Schmier, Professor of History at Valdosta State University. He writes about teaching in a way that can be very inspiring and sometimes very irritating.

    http://www.therandomthoughts.edublogs.org

    His most recent blog is called "Fearlessness" and it's about what came out of his experiences with serious illness. It seemed timely to me. I tried posting it but it's too long, so check out the link if your interested.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Radhika,

    Sounds like a great weekend for all of you. Sounds like you plan to take a breath and enjoy it. Very good. Can't wait to see the photos.

    Knowing what questions to ask when you get to the Mayo Clinic is a good thing. Even if you don't like all the answers, try to remember that most people want to do the right thing. They may not be able to control everything and make the entire system work, but they probably want to do their job well and help you as much as possible.

    Just think about how you go about being a professor in the CSU. The system doesn't work perfectly, but students who play an active role in their education and benefit from the help of some really terrific people along the way do graduate and find success! Your journey through the medical system is clearly more fragile, but not so different.

    XOXO,
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  7. Radhika,

    I am grateful to you for keeping us so well informed. In response to an earlier comment that you made, I want to exhort you to please continue to be as honest as you want or need to be. You don't need to protect us. We can take it. Honesty is good, and when you are your honest self, I am reminded to try to know the difference between what is important and what is not. Conventions of protocol and politeness be damned.

    I believe that it's vitally important for healing that members of our personal communities witness our difficult times. This process of witnessing and being witnessed allows others to turn their love towards us in times of suffering.

    I hope you will envision yourself as surrounded by a forcefield of intense love and healing light. In the short time I've known you, I've been struck by how much of this love and light you yourself project in just going about your daily business. It is, as it has been since I first met you, truly inspiring. Please know that all of that light has had (and will continue to have) a profound influence on others.

    As you turn inwards to concentrate on mustering the strength necessary to see your way through this part of your life's journey, I am beaming as much as love and light as I can towards you, and I know that everyone else is doing the same. It's our turn to send it back to you, and your turn to not worry about others and focus on taking care of yourself. Please don't forget.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Radhika, my friend. Thanks so much for this blog! I miss you guys so much. I'm so happy to hear you have something fun to look forward to. I can't wait to see the pictures of you girls in your Indian dresses.
    I am praying for you so if you need something specific, let me know. Just ask and He will be there for you.
    I love you!!!!
    God Bless you and your trip to the Mayo clinic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Radhika, hope your weekend in Atlanta was wonderful and hope there was a lot of laughing and dancing. Sending lots of love and positive thoughts your way for your upcoming week - Radhu

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thinking of you, getting back from Atlanta and on your way to Minnesota. With hope all the way, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, shucks, one would think someone as young as me would be able to figure out how to receive email updates from this website!

    Radhika, do you realize that this Thursday is the Lunar New Year? May the Sign of the Rabbit bring a new chapter to your healing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Radhika,

    I am thinking of you as you embark on the next phase with the evaluation at Mayo. I know you start at 7am tomorrow. I hope that you actually were able to make it there what with so many flight cancellations and the horrific weather in the midwest. Let us know.

    Love to you and Andre,
    Vivienne

    ReplyDelete